Grainger is a leading broad line distributor with operations primarily in North America, Japan and the United Kingdom. We achieve our purpose, We Keep the World Working, by serving more than 4.5 million customers with a wide range of products that keep their operations running and their people safe. Grainger also delivers services and solutions, such as technical support and inventory management, to save customers time and money.
We're looking for passionate people who can move our company forward. As one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For, we have a welcoming workplace where you can build a career for yourself while fulfilling our purpose to keep the world working. We embrace new ways of thinking and recognize everyone is an individual. Find your way with Grainger today.
Grainger is looking for an experienced Automation Engineer to join our team. You will focus on the automation delivery of IT infrastructure using Python and Puppet. You will help champion automation across GTG. You will work with Technical Leads, Engineers, Architects, and Operations to develop product design solutions. You will work with Product Managers by giving feedback on planning roadmaps and backlog priorities. You have experience in designing, testing, deploying, and supporting automated solutions.You Will:
- Deploy an automation framework to provide IT infrastructure services to replace time consuming, error-prone, manual repetitive configuration and provisioning tasks.
- Design, build, test, and deploy a workload to production. With knowledge of engineering best practices such as TDD, trunk-based development, frequent incremental iterative deployments, pair programming, etc.
- Perform automated lifecycle management using configuration management tools such as Puppet, Ansible, or comparable toolsets.
- Implement Infrastructure as Code (IaC) through a Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) pipeline using tools such as Terraform, CircleCI, or comparable toolsets.
- Collaborate with engineers, other technical teams, and management to expand the role and capability of automation in IT infrastructure.
- Recognize inefficient processes, guide projects forward, provide technical updates
Rewards and Benefits:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, related technical discipline, or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of experience as a software engineer
- 3+ years of experience coding in higher-level programming languages (e.g., Python, Java, or C++) at an intermediate or higher level with Object-Oriented Programming concepts, data structures, algorithms, runtime complexity, and unit and functional test methodologies.
- 2+ years of experience working with a configuration management platform such as Puppet, Ansible, Chef, or similar
- Experience with DevOps tools such as Terraform, CircleCI, Jenkins, Git, Bitbucket
- Experience with hybrid-cloud environments with on-premises infrastructure, AWS, GCP, Azure etc.
- Experience with REST APIs and JSON payloads for multiple automation tasks relevant to infrastructure activities
With benefits starting day one, Grainger is committed to your safety, health and wellbeing. Our programs provide choice and flexibility to meet our team members' individual needs. Check out some of the rewards available to you at Grainger
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans
- Paid time off (PTO) and 6 company holidays per year
- Automatic 6% 401(k) company contribution each pay period
- Employee discounts, parental leave, 3:1 match on donations and tuition reimbursement
- A comprehensive set of emotional, financial, physical and social wellbeing programs
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.