WELCOME TO SHERWIN-WILLIAMS
Here, we believe there’s not one path to success, we believe in careers that grow with you. Whoever you are or wherever you come from in the world, there’s a place for you at Sherwin Williams. We provide you with the opportunity to explore your curiosity and drive us forward. We’ll give you the space to share your strengths and we want you to show us what you can do. You can innovate, grow and discover in a place where you can thrive and Let Your Colors Show! Sherwin-Williams values the unique talents and abilities from all backgrounds and characteristics. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply, including individuals with disabilities and Protected Veterans.
The R&D Chemist position is responsible for leading activities related to new technology development in passive fire protection intumescing technologies including but not limited to epoxies, urethanes, alkyds, acrylics, etc. The incumbent will have opportunities to demonstrate leadership on product development and commercialization teams while providing support to internal customers such as management, manufacturing, marketing, quality, and commercialization and will also support external customers.
• Designs and executes experiments, draws conclusions, and makes recommendations focused on passive fire protection coatings market
• Maintaining accurate and detailed documentation of lab work and providing written updates and presentation of technical materials. Maintaining interactions with vendors and research institutions, SW marketing, and various service groups to ensure successful R&D efforts on new/improved products.
• Functions with limited supervisor input.
• May lead multiple technically complex projects at one time.
• Recognized as a key technical resource in at least one area.
• Communicate detailed ideas concisely through written communication by writing technical reports.
• Comply with and displays knowledge of all safety and security regulations and maintain a clean work area
• Travel for technical conferences and product commercialization support
• Provides outside customer service
• Train or mentor new or lower level chemists and technicians
• Adhere to company safety standards at all times
• Additional duties as assigned
• Adheres to quality standards in accordance with the Global Business Management System
• Must be legally authorized to work in the country for which you are applying for employment (without now or in the future needing sponsorship for employment work visa and/or permanent residence status).
• Bachelor’s degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Math field.
• At least 5 years of experience with industrial coatings development, including at least 3 years of experience in developing intumescing passive fireproofing coatings.
• Experience with coatings chemistry composition reactions to form char including basic ammonium polyphosphate and pentaerythritol reactions.
• Experience with TGA and high temperature rheometry as related to gas generation and capture at high temperatures
• Experience with testing protocols involved with cellulosic and hydrocarbon passive fire protection
• Good organizational and communication skills, both verbal and written
• Good project management skills
• Familiarity with application and troubleshooting of industrial coatings.
• Practical understanding of spectral measurement data
• Computer knowledge for basic inputting, communication, and data analysis
• Math knowledge
• Analytical chemistry and the ability to extend it beyond the realm of coatings
• Proven problem-solving and decision-making ability.
• Ability to adapt and change quickly in response to new situations/demands.
• Excellent organizational and communication skills.
• Design of Experiment
• Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry
• Proficient in statistics and data analysis.
• Creative thinking
Travel: 30% Domestic
Who we are
At Sherwin-Williams, we're proud of the company we keep — our family of loyal employees. To learn about our company and our culture go to Sherwin.com/careers.
Sherwin-Williams is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, age, pregnancy, genetic information, creed, marital status or any other consideration prohibited by law or by contract.
As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, Sherwin-Williams requests state and local employment services delivery systems to provide priority referral of Protected Veterans.