Solar - PV Electrical Design & Commissioning Manager
The future you want is within reach.
At PCL, we build the places where life happens and find camaraderie in the process. We're a community of builders committed to building better communities. That's why we're always looking ahead, and not just to the next project or what's next in our industry.
We're also looking at what's next for you and how we can help you build a career you're proud of.
As a Solar - PV Electrical Design & Commissioning Manager for our Solar Center of Excellence in Texas, you will contribute to our team by:
- Reviewing overall concept design, detailed layout and DC electrical design.
- Reviewing overall substation concept design and works with substation and PV engineers to co-ordinate the flow of information and optimize design details.
- Participating in estimates to secure new work including in renewable energy.
- Assisting with performing concept designs for feasibility and tendering in pre-contract stages and detailed design in the execution phase.
- Reviewing and understanding the contract and subcontracts, including understanding risk and risk mitigation plans.
- Managing design development with external design consultants as well as the commissioning program.
- Assisting with troubleshooting during PV and HV testing and performance testing during commissioning.
- Working with local utilities and grid operators with the development of connection and energization documentation.
- Assisting with development of manuals and commissioning plans documentation.
- Attending site walks, commissioning kick-off meetings and training sessions, and provide technical assistance during project execution as required.
- Assisting with project administration correspondence and complies with documentation requirements relevant to solar farm installation and construction projects.
- Identifying and discerning root causes associated with non-conformances and reports to project team.
- Contributing to the development and implementation of the Project Execution Plan (PEP).
- Providing input on schedule development and implementation to the project team.
- Staying current with industry practices and technologies and seeking new and innovative construction methods and processes.
- Networking with industry contacts to determine PCL's competitive advantage.
- Assisting in collecting and analyzing historical information and benchmarks.
- Identifying success stories and lessons learned and sharing with estimating and project team for continuous project life cycle improvement.
- Understanding and actively managing client project-specific success criteria (CPSSC); specifically understanding owners' business, requirements, and revenue generation and provides solutions.
- Supervising, directing, coaching, training and mentoring direct and indirect reports.
- Developing and maintaining strong customer-focused relationships with all stakeholders.
- Valuing and modeling the solution provider and profitability culture.
- Conducting other duties as required.
What you will bring to the role:
- A Postsecondary diploma/engineering degree in a related discipline or relevant industry/trade background.
- 7 to 10 years of progressive experience with 2 years of experience in utility-scale solar project construction.
- Knowledge and application of health, safety, and environment principles/procedures/ legislation.
- Knowledge of utility-scale solar construction industry, including building materials, construction specifications, methods in conjunction with procedures, safety, and quality management practices for more complex projects or scopes.
- Knowledge of project construction law and building codes, with the ability to leverage such knowledge.
- Strong planning, organizational, and time management skills with the ability to multitask and priorities direct report tasks for prompt execution.
- Ability to manage project budgets, create and schedule a project.
- Understanding of contract and subcontracts with an ability to manage contractual obligations and responsibilities related to project scope.
- Ability to identify and manage risk and opportunities on solar construction projects.
- Understanding of insurance, bonding, and legal requirements.
- Ability to monitor and forecast trade resources for possible schedule impact and direct accordingly.
- Experience with the identification of installation priorities to trade contractors and preparation of schedules (including start-up, commissioning and closeout).
- Ability to manage and lead the start-up commissioning process.
- Ability to understand weather impacts on construction activities, including seasonal constraints on the commissioning process.
- Ability to identify and solicit internal or external support to solve construction challenges.
- Demonstrated experience in implementing a strong safety culture.
- Experience and understanding of the change process in relation to cost/pricing and schedule impact, with the ability to track system related change orders.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with key stakeholders and decision-makers.
- Ability to collaborate with and influence designers and engineers on complex projects.
- Effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated strong problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Demonstrated flexibility and ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of virtual construction software and tools.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability and willingness to travel for out of town commissioning projects.
PCL is an innovative, employee-owned company comprised of people who find passion in their profession and take pride in doing great work every day. Our work powers the infrastructure and utilities that are essential to daily life and our projects are the scene of vacations, careers, education and healing. We are consistently ranked among the best companies to work for because we are committed to supporting and developing our teams.
The PCL Companies celebrate diversity and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability or veteran status.
Should you require an accommodation during the application process, please contact us at email@example.com with the position and location you are interested in.
Together, we can build success and a better future. Let's get started!
PCL Construction Services, Inc.
Nov 17, 2020, 5:11:25 PM