We're looking for an Associate Database Administrator to help us push the boundaries of what education can offer through the power of technology. Education is our passion and our team members bring that to work each day as they aim to advance learning in every region of the world. Blackboard is the world's leading education technology company, providing dynamic products and services to the global education community. We're focused on driving innovation in EdTech and working with our clients to create a smarter learning environment.
For more information about Blackboard Inc. and our career opportunities, please visit .
As Associate Database Administrator within the Operations organization at Blackboard, you will support multiple databases in traditional hosting and cloud environments for Oracle and Postgres. You will also perform database and system troubleshooting relating to the performance of Blackboard applications.
Your primary responsibilities will include:
- Working with various teams to provide database support and troubleshooting for Oracle and Postgres environments
- Using basic command line Linux skills to perform various tasks
- Working with migration teams to execute cross platform migrations of databases and applications
- Developing ad hoc SQL queries in both Oracle and Postgres databases
- Performing routine database maintenance as required
- Enhancing and developing scripts for reporting, data manipulation, and automation of administration tasks
- Reviewing databases for performance issues
- Analyzing databases to proactively identify issues
- Responding to escalations and attending follow up meetings
- Developing, documenting, and training team members on new solutions or procedures
- Hands-on command line experience with database administration tasks for Oracle and Postgres environments
- Willingness to learn and adapt to a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work within team structures to develop innovative solutions to common issues
- Experience with troubleshooting advanced database issues
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Skills: Linux, Postgres, Oracle, performance tuning, and shell scripting
- Must be a US Citizen
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to participate in 24 x 7 on-call rotation
- Prior experience working in DevOps environments
- Experience working in production DevOps environments hosted on Linux operating system
- Previous experience in the education industry and with e-learning technologies
- Background in content/knowledge management, digital asset management, as well as education related technologies
Blackboard has an office in the vibrant Plaza America in Reston, VA.
- Countless walkable places to eat lunch or dinner within the plaza including Zoe's Kitchen, Mod Pizza, The Melting Pot, and Whole Foods
- Half a mile from Reston Town Center
- Accessible via Metro - Wiehle-Reston East- Silver line with complimentary Shuttle Service to the office
- Office amenities include automatic expresso bars, soft drinks and other beverages, healthy snacks, arcade games, and free fitness center
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Blackboard is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.