We're looking for a Staff Revenue Accountant to help us push the boundaries of what education can offer through the power of technology. Education is our passion and our team members bring that to work each day as they aim to advance learning in every region of the world. Blackboard is the world's leading education technology company, providing dynamic products and services to the global education community. We're focused on driving innovation in EdTech and working with our clients to create a smarter learning environment.
For more information about Blackboard Inc. and our career opportunities, please visit .
This is a technical accounting position that will report to the Revenue Accounting Lead with primary responsibility of ensuring compliance with Blackboard's revenue recognition policies, performing day to day revenue team tasks & initiatives, providing support around audit requests, and ensuring the proper recognition and associated costs related to Blackboard contracts.
As Staff Revenue Accountant, your primary responsibilities will include:
- Assisting management in maintaining processes and procedures for accurate and timely revenue recognition and associated expense accounting
- Utilizing applications such as PeopleSoft, nVision, RevStream, and other tools
- Understanding various product offerings and revenue/expense streams to ensure proper revenue recognition and product code setup in the financial system in accordance with Blackboard's revenue recognition policies
- Assisting with closing of monthly revenue and expense ledgers within rigorous closing schedules and preparing revenue and expense journal entries and account reconciliations
- Reviewing sales contracts to ensure proper revenue recognition in accordance with Blackboard's policies
- Assisting with quarterly and year-end financial statement audit/review processes ensuring that all support is prepared timely and deadlines are met
- Working closely with other members of finance team and answer revenue and expense recognition questions around the monthly, quarterly, and annual revenue forecasts
- Assisting with documentation of Blackboard's revenue recognition policies for its product offerings as well as internal controls affecting the revenue accounting process
- Supporting the revenue recognition team throughout the adoption and implementation of the new revenue recognition standard (ASC 606)
- Obtaining exposure to testing and reporting within newly implemented revenue recognition tool RevStream
- Preparing and understanding journal entries and expense schedules for Blackboard's royalty arrangements
- Strong motivational, communication, and organizational skills
- Self-motivated, ability to multi-task, and ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Detail-oriented with excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work with varying levels of employees and management
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree in Accounting with work-related experience in a relevant position
- Strong computer skills: Proficient Excel skills, general ledger/accounting systems, and other Microsoft Office products
- Public accounting experience
- Experience working with Peoplesoft or Oracle Financials
- Technical accounting knowledge (revenue recognition, accrual accounting, bad debts, royalty expenses, deferred revenue, unbilled receivables, sales commissions)
- Active CPA license or CPA candidate
Blackboard has an office in the vibrant Plaza America in Reston, VA.
- Countless walkable places to eat lunch or dinner within the plaza including Zoe's Kitchen, Mod Pizza, The Melting Pot, and Whole Foods
- Half a mile from Reston Town Center
- Accessible via Metro - Wiehle-Reston East- Silver line with complimentary Shuttle Service to the office
- Office amenities include automatic expresso bars, free soft drinks and other beverages, and free fitness center
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Blackboard is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national original, age, religion, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, military/veteran status, or any other protected factor.