Arlington County is seeking an experienced Engineering Technician to perform transportation-related technical and investigative work in the Transportation Engineering & Operations Bureau of the Department of Environmental Services. This position requires a working knowledge of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD), and its use relative to traffic signs, pavement markings and street operations. The ideal employee in this position can use national standards and the County's standard practices as a guide to make quick decisions based on onsite operating conditions and sound technical judgement.
Specific duties include:
- Investigating, collecting and analyzing data related to traffic signs, pavement markings, parking, pedestrian activity, and multi-modal elements of the urban street network;
- Exercising judgment in making decisions on placement of traffic signs, installation of pavement markings and other transportation engineering solutions to improve safety;
- Investigating, generating, and issuing right-of-way permits for construction equipment, PODS, block parties, moving vans, and other events that require temporary closure of the public right-of-way;
- Representing the TE&O Bureau as the transportation expert during the County's special events' initiative;
- Understanding, applying, and communicating transportation codes and standards verbally and in writing;
- Preparing graphic materials, reports, and documented operational decisions using Microsoft Office Suite, or other transportation engineering software applications; and
- Entering work requests orders into the data management system for implementation and following up to ensure the tasks are executed accurately.
The duties require diplomacy in working with the public and County stakeholders, as well as being responsive to inquiries and clearly communicating approved decisions. The ability to maintain organized records to analyze information accurately, and a working knowledge of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices and County Code is beneficial.
Minimum: High school diploma plus two years of experience in transportation engineering operations or a related field that includes at least one year using software to track data and generate reports.
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience may substitute for up to two years of the education requirement on a year-for-year basis. Completion of college courses in engineering or other directly related field may be substituted for up to one year of experience on a year-for-year basis.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with one or more of the following:
- Experience using Microsoft Office Suite;
- Experience conducting transportation engineering studies;
- Working knowledge of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) and the Virginia Work Area Protection Manual (VAPM); and/or
- Undergraduate degree or coursework in an engineering field.
The applicant must possess, or obtain by time of appointment, a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's place of residence. The applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment may be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record.
Work Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the selection process and are required for this position. Please do not give "see resume" as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
NOTE: This position is listed as "open continuous." Interested applicants are advised to submit their applications as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed, and qualified applicants referred on a continuous basis. Interviews will be conducted on a regular basis throughout the recruitment with candidates whose qualifications best fit our needs. If your application is received later in the recruitment process, it may not be reviewed or considered. The application process will close when the position has been filled or when a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.