U.S. Insurance Solutions - Individual Disability Income (IDI) is looking for an experienced or entry level Software Engineer who will bring unique perspectives, insight, and innovation to our customers. You will be developing and maintaining front-end applications, back-end integrations, and vendor solutions, while using data to drive decisions and solutions.
Here are few examples of the kinds of things you'll do:
- Work in an agile/lean environment
- Participate in and foster an atmosphere of innovation and experimentation
- Own continuous improvement for yourself, those around you, and the solutions you build
- Strive for customer focus through high collaboration with our business, vendors, and teams all with diverse perspectives
- Customer based design thinking
- Creating Fast Feedback loops through TDD, BDD (Test and Behavior Driven Development), Retrospectives and Demos
- Collaboration through Mob and Pair programming
- Building quality up-front and delivering business value through robust, secure, scalable, and maintainable solutions
This position is also a great way to advance your career. As a growing company with over 14,000 employees around the world, Principal offers a lot of ways for you to learn more, earn more and achieve more. That's one reason Principal has been on Computerworld's list of for 17 straight years.
- Competitive pay, benefits, perks and more. We'll reward you for the skills and experience you have.
- A great place to live, work and play. Greater Des Moines is one of the fastest-growing metro areas in the country. Given its vibrant and welcoming culture, it's no wonder Des Moines has garnered so much national recognition-including #3 Best Affordable Place to Live (U.S. News & World Report, 2019).
- Respect for your unique perspective. Diversity, inclusion and empowerment are at the core of our culture.
- A career, not just a job. Principal is a place where you can learn and innovate. Do important work. Make an impact. And achieve your professional goals.
- The ability to have a great job and a great life. Sure, work is important. But so is your family. And your friends. And your community. That's why we provide the flexibility needed to find the right balance between your job and the rest of your life.
We're looking for someone with:
- Associate's or Bachelor's degree with a preference in a science, technology, engineering, or math (STEM) related field or equivalent work experience (6 years of experience equates to an Associate's degree when defining "equivalent work experience")
- Experience with modern programming languages
- The strongest candidates will have 1+ years of development experience in a professional setting, but candidates with strong academic or internship experience will be considered
Additional preferred technical experience:
- Design and Development experience with Java, J2EE, Spring, Rest-based services, and APIs
- Experience developing data-driven systems using relational and NoSQL database technologies
- Experience with development and deployment tools like git, BitBucket, Bamboo, Jenkins, SonarQube, Fortify and concepts around CI/CD
- Experience or exposure to cloud platforms (we use Microsoft Azure)
Willing to consider applicants at multiple job levels.
Once you apply, your application is hand reviewed by our talent team. Generally within a few weeks, the team makes interview selection decisions and communicates those via email. If selected, you'll receive an email from Principal Talent Team to complete a pre-recorded interview on your own time. Be sure to check your email frequently and follow the steps shared to submit timely.
Learn more about our and find answers to frequently asked questions.
At this time, we're not able to consider candidates needing sponsorship now or in the future or those needing work authorization for this role. (This includes students on F1-OPT, F1-CPT, J-1, etc.) However, we'd hope you continue to keep us in mind for future opportunities.
Principal is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to of age, race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, national origin, citizenship status, disability, genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, marital status, domestic partner status, military status, protected veteran status, disability status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Investment Code of Ethics
For positions with Principal Global Investors, you will be required to follow a Code of Ethics which covers a number of obligations related to personal and business conduct as well as personal trading activities for you and members of your household. These same requirements may also apply to other positions across the organization.