Manage the disposition of forest land in coordination with regional TCF conservation acquisition staff to achieve desired conservation and financial outcomes. Duties include, but are not limited to: developing and implementing conservation strategies on a growing base of timberlands involving coordination of related real estate due diligence, securing the necessary conservation capital, and development of working forest conservation easements. All activities will maintain and enhance neighbor, partner, donor and stakeholder relationships. This position will be located in our Chapel Hill, NC office.
The Land Protection Specialist will be assisting the Conservation Manager in developing and implementing conservation strategies across the Working Forest Fund’s growing forestland portfolio that currently involves involving over 20 projects and +-300,000 acres in 14 states and growing. This position will include:
• Coordinating real estate transactions to ensure that pertinent due diligence (e.g., Phase I Environmental Site Assessments, natural resource inventories, surveys, title work, appraisals, baseline documentation reports) is completed in an efficient and timely manner that conforms with Land Trust Alliance Standards and Practices, TCF Real Estate policies and to meet the requirements set forth by partner agencies and funders;
• Working with Regional conservation acquisition staff and the Conservation Manager to develop and implement conservation strategies on WFF’s forestland portfolio;
• Assisting the Conservation Manager with the development of working forest conservation easements that maintain viability of sustainable forest management for economic benefit and protect key conservation values including wildlife habitat, and water quality;
• Working with appropriate development, government relations, business partnership, marketing and communications, and conservation acquisition staff to secure the necessary conservation funding which may including writing and management of grants, development of associated outreach materials, and meeting with potential funders;
• Working with the Business Manager and Conservation Manager to ensure tracking and reporting functions are optimized
• Working with the Manager of Forest Financial Planning & Analysis and Forest Operations Manager to ensure easement terms are practical and implementable from a forest management perspective
DESIRED BACKGROUND AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
• Self-motivated, detail-oriented and independent professional that works wells as an individual and as a member of a team
• Experience with land trusts and real estate transactions including conservation easements
• Ability to interact well with diverse stakeholders, including timberland owners, public agencies, community groups, and local citizens
• Familiarity with federal and state land conservation funding programs
• Familiarity with Land Trust Alliance’s Standards and Practices
• Excellent communication skills
• Proficient in basic computer software (MS Word, Excel, ARC-GIS)
• A Bachelor's degree and 5 + years field experience and/or a Masters in Natural Resource Management or business-related field is preferred.
•This position requires the incumbent to have a valid driver's license and a willingness and ability to travel frequently throughout the US to visit remote forested tracts.
The Conservation Fund, a Non Profit Corporation, is an Equal Opportunity Employer who fully and actively supports equal access for all people regardless of Race, Color, Religion, Gender, Age, National Origin, Veteran Status, Disability, Genetic Information or Testing, Family and Medical Leave, Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity or Expression and prohibits retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or practice in the investigation of any complaint, or otherwise oppose discrimination.
For additional information about The Conservation Fund, visit our website at www.conservationfund.org. We offer an excellent benefits package including medical, dental and life insurances; 403(b) plan; paid vacation, sick leave and holidays.