PBS Core Purpose/Mission: PBS
is a membership organization that in partnership with its member stations serves the American public with programming and services of the highest quality, using media to educate, inspire, entertain, and express the diversity of perspectives. PBS empowers individuals to achieve their potential and strengthens the social, democratic, and cultural health of the U.S.
PBS in Brief:
PBS is a private, nonprofit corporation, founded in 1969, whose members are America’s public TV stations. * PBS provides quality TV programming and related services to 356 noncommercial stations serving all 50 states, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam and American Samoa. * PBS oversees program acquisition and provides program distribution and promotion; education services; new media ventures; fundraising support; engineering and technology development; and video marketing.
PBS Member Stations:
168 noncommercial, educational licensees operate 356 PBS member stations. * Of the 168 licensees, 87 are community organizations, 56 are colleges/universities, 20 are state authorities and five are local educational or municipal authorities.
PBS Programming Activities:
The National Programming Service (NPS) is the major package of programs that PBS distributes to its member stations. It features television’s best children’s, cultural, educational, history, nature, news, public affairs and science programming. * Programs distributed on the NPS are produced by PBS stations, independent producers and other sources around the world. PBS does not produce programs.
Working with PBS:
Why work for PBS? We know that people are what make PBS special! We have talented employees with diverse backgrounds and interests who are committed to a common goal and work hard to achieve it. Here's what some of them have to say about working at PBS:
- "We're a national leader, but we're also down to earth and personable."
- "You can really judge a company by how happy people are. There's a real esprit de corps here; people are willing to go out of their way to help you."
- "I feel like I've come full circle: PBS influenced me by helping me learn my ABCs and basic algebra, and now I'm helping to influence PBS!"
PBS offers competitive salaries. And, as an employee-oriented company, PBS also offers an outstanding benefits package. Highlights include:
- Comprehensive medical, dental, life and disability insurance;
- An immediately vested retirement plan to which PBS contributes 8% of your salary (after a one-year waiting period);
- Educational benefits, including tuition reimbursement and interest-free loans;
- In-house training geared to help your professional development;
- A generous holiday and leave schedule with an average of 30 days of paid leave per year;
- A wellness program that includes use of a nearby state-of-the-art gym facility, health fairs and seminars, blood drives and other activities.